Wednesday 6 July 2011

The Accomodation Hunt

Looking for a place to live, in a country you don´t know, in a language you can´t speak, to people who don´t understand what you are saying, in a town you not quite sure where the better parts are, and on sites you can´t read, is really not a fun job.

When I arrived in Germany I decided I will stay in a little hotel for a few nights till I get settled. Boy o boy was this fun. i didn´t to leave actually. I maaaay of even had a moment where I tried to sell the feasibility of them renting a room to me on a monthly basis for a greatly reduced rate, to curve the loss of unbooked rooms. No Luck.
As my days in my hotel ran out, so did my options for a place to move into. At the end of the day my hand was twisted, and I was heading to hell. Otherwise known as a 35 man hostel kind of vibe in the old part of town. In a bed that sang you a creaky tune every time you dared move, with toilets that constantly smelt like some one was doing the dirty on them, and in a shower where, to this day, I am convinced the hairiest men in the world showered. No common decency in this place! The kitchen was a whole other story really, haha, you have to laugh. 35 people, 8square meters, 3 cooker tops. Enjoy...
I became a professional at sourcing the best value for money take aways in town!!


Since things have turned around though. Staying in a new place now, I have two fellow house mates, both very cool women. One from Romania, the other from the Philippines. Last night was in fact Tequila night, a wonderful night of the week where my Romanian house mate and her friend have shots of tequila till they finish an entire bottle!! Needless to say this was EXTREMELY funny to watch sober!
But I love my new house, even though it is just for one month. It is extremely affordable, centrally located, awesome peeps, CLEAN, and it rally is nice to be able to shower without slops again..

At the end of the month I have found a permanent place for the remainder of my stay. The key word about it would be budget, but that would soon be followed by an awesome vibe, rad student house mates, and something different. I never stayed in a digs during my study days, and that is exactly what my new place is all about. A room in a student dorm, with a huge  lounge for socializing and games. Hell, they have already invited me to jam and I am still a month away from moving in! ha-ha.

It is coming up to my first month in Germany already being complete, and the amount I have already experienced is insane. i have seen ALOT, and met tons of people. It really has been a great adventure so far, and now it my accommodation story finally being sorted in a satisfactory way, all I have to do is sit back, and enjoy the ride...

No comments:

Post a Comment