Wednesday 6 July 2011

Settling In

So I won´t lie, it was not easy settling in to this Germany place. It's rather bloody different in many aspects. Going to the shops and having to decipher what you are buying from the picture displayed on the product. Asking shop attendants where something is and getting a blank look like English is a language that has jsut landed on earth from a far off distant place was not a rare occurrence during my first few days(it still isn´t). The first few days where lonely though, not knowing a single person within a 500 km radius I think can often be underestimated. To make matters worse, when meeting new people, they don´t understand what you are saying and it all often ends in a failed situation of separating of paths.

BUT, my dear little English speaking friends, the coin has turned. I started work a few days after I arrived, and since then things have really turned around. With employees from all parts of the world (except Africa really) the opportunities to meet new peeps are endless. And meet new peeps I have, lots. There is really alot of like minded individuals here, and I’ve made alot of really good friends. Each Monday we play social soccer, and thank the lord it is social, because I seem to have taken a note from our national football team and am pretty dam useless. Luckily I scored a fluke of a goal on my first outing so have been saved from a raging a bit!

On the first summers day of summer (it does not seem to happen often), we all headed down the communal pool after work. We swam and played volleyball. Yes, volleyball. Another sport that I am absolutely no good at. But it was really cool none the less!

The accomodation part of my journey is a whole other story, and really
need to be told in a whole other blog. Let´s just say, it has been a hectic roller coaster so far...

No comments:

Post a Comment