Tuesday 1 November 2011

Share Housing

When most young people move overseas for what ever reason, they often resort to share housing as a means of low cost accomodation. Like most things in life, it has both its pros and cons.... Living in Germany has provided me with my second share housing experience and I though it would be cool to lay out my experiences of them.

Like everything thing in life, people enjoy the positives the most, so lets look at the Pros of share housing are:

1. Cheap- Share housing is pretty much the best way to live in a good area at a fraction of the cost. Obviously the cost of the residence is devided by all the house members, as well as bills, and often or not cleaning materials. I stayed in an upmarket central London appartment for a competitive proce and am now statying an awesome student town for less money than most people spend on their girlfriends in a month.
2. Meeting People- Often people find themselves moving to countries where they do not know a lot of people. Share housing provides an opportunity to meet people in the area, and meet their friends, giving you a good network of people in your new city. This can be a pro or a con. I have met a few very cool people in my places, but I will tell you in the cons about the opposite side of that coin.
3. Events- When you live with a bunch of people there is always something going on. My house mates are constantly going partying, going for runs, going to the pool, etc, so I have never been bored... But I have often woken up at 11am on the weekend wondering WHAT happened the night before!


Ok ok, enough about that, I want to talk about the Cons, my experiences that have left me with some funny, 'Is this oke out of his fucking mind' moments....


To give some background on the two different places, in London I stayed in a share house with a few older Australians and Brits. Australians are often quite cool, but I had a fucking lunitic. Literally, this chick had something wrong, not to metion a lil heavy on the booze and a huge belly.
In Germany however, I stay with a LOT of student in this massive floor apartment, student share vibe. They are pretty good with me and often speak English to eachother if I am involved in the convo.

But lets look at some facts.

1. Whiney Bitches- When you get a guy whining like a little kid thats lost his first lolly pop, you kind of have to laugh. One guy is like a little bitch about some RANDOM things, and I most of the time ignore him. The Australian girl mentioned before was even worse, she was a mare! Often resisting an urge to push her down the stairs.

2. Dirty Bastards- Some humans should just live in a cage. They literally live like pigs, and from what I have seen in the shower, probably become warewolfs twice a day at least. The dirty bastard is always a bad one. Coincedently in London, the cycotic Australian and her boyfriend (30 year old uneducated British sales assistant at some downand out store, which says a lot) also took the dirty bastard awards in the house.

3. Opera- When you get woken up at 2am by some RANDOM playing Opera music at full volume, it is kind of fucking irratating.

4. Friends of House mates- You know the saying you can't pick your family, but you can pick your friend'? Well, you also can't pick your house mates friends. I have met some awesome people like I said before, but idiots who come and hold on your doorbell at 3.30am when they do not even live there,completely pissed out their mind, and their friend(who is the resident) is not even there, gives you con number 4.

All in all, there are heaps more. When looking for a house, the big threats are The Dirty Bastard and The Whiney Bitch, with the triple threat being a person who is both of those and has a boyfriend or girlfriend, as they are also suspect if they can put up with them.

No comments:

Post a Comment