Wednesday 6 July 2011

Steven and His Adventures

Steven is the name of my bike. My German bike. my German bike that cost me 20 Euros. The bike that I have used ever since I bought it to get practically everywhere I go.

The story about this bad boy though, is he is old school. He has a rack, he has mudguards, wide tires, weights about 20kg´s, and is purple and black. But shit son, he is rad!!!


Everyday I do a commute of 30 minutes from my home in Erlangen(a small university town just outside Nuremberg, very similar to Stellenbosch). This commute brings me to work in Herzogenaurach(which is pronounced no where NEAR how it is spelt) which is a small town in the middle of nowhere that has two of the biggest sporting names in the worlds headquarters in it! Adidas and Puma where both born in this town, and to this day, over 60 years later, their head offices are still kept here. With both companies just building new buildings, this looks set to stay this way, which is nice really as too often you see companies forget where they have come from.

With at least an hour a day together, me and Steven have become good friends. He has payed himself off a long time ago in relation to the bus fairs I would have incurred, and quite frankly, the cycle to work each day is awesome. Germany has some amazing country side, and each day my journey takes in 2 cycle paths, a river crossing, 3 small German towns, 1 one car width tunnel, a couple horses, many bakeries, the Adidas headquarters, and finally, a cresting of a hill that opens up to the view of a beautifully branded building that is the Puma headquarters. My work.

Its funny though, no matter the weather, rain, shine, cold, boiling, every day I do this hour commute on Steven, mainly because it is just so fun. Fresh air, and clear the mind. With my orange headphones pumping the beats, my sunnies on, and my bag strapped to my rack, it really is quite a vibe!
Winter may be a different story however, with many people talking of SNOW from November time. Jeepers.
For now though, when you are sitting in your car, in traffic, swearing, getting frustrated, think of me, out in the country side, beats pumping, on my way to another awesome day at the Puma headquarters!


No comments:

Post a Comment